History of B.C. Parker Real Estate
On February 24, 1953, B.C. “Benjie” Parker announced the formation of B.C. Parker Agency. The initial focus of the business was the purchase and sale of real estate, home improvements, and construction. The office was located in the driving range building on Highway 70 in Burlington, NC. Richard Parker was two years old when the business was started.
Benjie was known throughout the city for his civic work with the Junior Chamber of Commerce (the JC’s). He had come to Burlington by way of Albemarle after his naval service in WWII. Before starting his business, he worked for Western Electric as an engineer.
His youth and enthusiasm carried the business through the 50”s and the 60’s. He built many houses during those days including the family home off Edgewood Avenue. Also in the late 50’s, he became involved in Real Estate Appraisals.
In the early 60’s, he began the lengthy course work required by the National Association of Realtors (NAR). His involvement with the local Realtor’s Board and state Associations won him the Presidency of the state group in 1965. Later that year, he was awarded the designation of M.A.I. (Member of the American Institute) by the NAR. This was the highest appraisal designation for the Realtors.
Throughout his career, he worked from the mountains to the coast for utility companies, the Department of Transportation, banks, and the general public. In the summer of 1969, he signed his first Property Management contract. Richard Parker had just graduated from High School and was on his way to serve in the US Navy.
In 1969, the United States had over a half million troops on the ground in Viet Nam. Joining the Navy was the only sensible choice for Richard since his draft number was 16. After 4 years in the service, he returned to Burlington and in September 1975, Richard joined the firm. He soon became very involved with the Property Management business.
Richard and his father worked together for 14 years until 1989 when B.C. died. Richard then began his career with the statement, ‘we’ll live or die by Property Management”. He worked prospects and made himself known as a Property Manager. The business grew rapidly in the early 90’s and into the 2000’s.
In 2009, the business expanded into its new location with 4,000 sq. feet of office space. The staff grew as well as the business. As you review our website, you will notice how the business has evolved over the decades. We take great pride in our accomplishments and look towards the future with the same enthusiasm as B.C. did in 1953.